Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson. We’ll admit it, we were skeptical—Benjamin Walker? The Seventh President as an emo-punk teenager? What?—but we left the theater breathless from laughter, and totally turned on. Then, we went back for more. Several times over. It’s a miracle, really, that we managed to keep from throwing our bras at the stage or inappropriately grabbing Mr. Walker when he straddled our laps. (How many musicals can inspire that kind of panty-dropping response?) As Bloody Bloody makes the Broadway leap, beginning previews tonight, here’s a look back at our coverage over the last six months:
- First there was straight up shock-and-awe, especially since the last time Lucky had seen Benjamin Walker, he’d been less than impressive.
- Then, we noticed a pop culture parallel for all this bloody business.
- Seeing Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson and Bloodsong of Love back to back taught us a lesson.
- And getting a lap-dance from Andrew Fucking Jackson caused The Mick to wax poetic about her new favorite theater.
- When the Drama Desk nominations were released, all we could ask was “Drama Desk Say What?!”
- Then the Vogue photos were released, and we had a hard time containing our… creativity.
- While waiting out the summer of Will He/Won’t He Reprise his role rumors, we compiled a list of people we never wanted to see play our beloved Seventh POTUS.
- And then, it happened, the glorious Broadway announcement that raised girlish screeches of delight around Manhattan.
Image: Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson / Photo: Johnny Miller