Just when you thought we’d run out of teen idols and ex-boybanders to be in musicals, Aaron Carter gets himself cast in a musical in New York. Again. Slated to star in The Fantasticks off-Broadway beginning November 7, Carter has already done the musical theater thang. As a casting stunt for the ages, he joined Seussical in 2001 when he was just 13 years old.
It’s not like casting teen idols in musicals is a new idea:
- Donny Osmond starred in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
- David and Shaun Cassidy were in Blood Brothers.
- Joey McIntyre played Fiyero in Wicked.
- Debbie Gibson has played everyone from Sandy to Eponine to Velma Kelly.
- The Jonas Brothers have real Broadway cred, and refuse to let you forget it.
- Joey Fatone was Mark in Rent, which still kind of makes no sense, and Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors.
- Backstreet Boy Kevin Richardson spun through the revolving casting door at Chicago.
- We live in perpetual fear that Sebastian Bach will try to get himself cast in something new.
So now we’re digging through the box of stored pinups and band t-shirts under our beds and wondering… who’s next?
Which of the following semi-underqualified teen idol-types would you love (or at least be mildly curious) to see on stage in a musical? Write-ins are welcome in the comments, below.
Additional required reading: